For more information about sponsoring opportunities please Email Military Family Network

Disclaimer: eMilitary is in no way affiliated with the Department of Defense (DoD) or any branch of the Armed Services (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine or Coast Guard) and inclusion on this site does not reflect endorsement by the DoD, any local government or their agencies.
Voter Registration Push Underway

Dave Melancon - Army News Service

The 2008 election year kicked off Jan. 3 with the Iowa caucuses and New Hampshire's presidential primary takes place Jan. 8. Other states' primaries, many with bumped-up voting dates, follow right behind the Granite State.

And Election Day, Nov. 4, is less than a year away. So there is no time like the present to register to vote, say voting assistance officers.

Throughout the Army, voting assistance officers are helping Soldiers, Family members, Department of Defense civilian employees, retirees and contractors in registering to vote. They can also identity a voter's county of record back home and will assist with filling out the Federal Postcard Application. Plus they can help other U.S. citizens, who are not associated with the military register as well.

While their processes vary, all 50 states and U.S. territories recognize and accept the federal postcard application - U.S. Government Printing Office Standard Form 76. The form can be obtained from a VAO or downloaded from the Federal Voting Assistance Program Web site.

After completing an FPCA, voters need to forward it to their county election officers because the FPCA registers the individual and requests an absentee ballot.

Voters still should check with their state's secretary of state or director of elections for state-specific laws and guidance.

Every state is different when it comes to registration procedures and deadlines for getting the federal post card registration to a county registrar. Links to state registrars can be found on the FVAP's Web site.

To ensure Soldiers find the right person to assist them, lists of trained garrison VAOs are continuously updated and maintained by garrison directorates of human resources.

For more information, contact your unit or USAG VAO or visit the FVAP Web site at www.fvap.gov.

(Dave Melancon writes for U.S. Army Garrison Heidelberg Public Affairs.)

More News: Here

Sign Up for our monthly Newsletter

Newsletter Archives




Terms and Conditions  |   Privacy Policy   |  copyright © 2000-2013, eMilitary, Inc   |   development: Military Family Network homepage