|HOME | PRESS | SPONSORSHIP | JOIN OUR TEAM ||
American Forces Press Service
WASHINGTON, April 3, 2009 - As the Defense Department kicked off its annual Sexual Assault Awareness Month observance, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff took to the airwaves to tell servicemembers they have a part to play in preventing sexual assault.
"It's up to each of us to prevent sexual assault," Navy Adm. Mike Mullen said in a public service announcement being aired on the Pentagon Channel and its affiliates.
Mullen noted that nearly 3,000 armed forces members, both military and civilian, reported sexual assault last year.
"This crime has no place – NO PLACE – in our ranks," Mullen said. "One is one too many."
Mullen called on servicemembers to check out a new Web site, http://www.sapr.mil, to learn more about the department's Sexual Assault Prevention and Response program.
"You can take a stand," he said, emphasizing the 'you.'"
"It's up to each of us," he said. "It's up to all of us."