For more information about sponsoring opportunities please Email Military Family Network


Disclaimer: eMilitary is in no way affiliated with the Department of Defense (DoD) or any branch of the Armed Services (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine or Coast Guard) and inclusion on this site does not reflect endorsement by the DoD, any local government or their agencies.

Military Deals Installation Lodging Space A

Travel and Space A Information:

Military travel information for you and your family

Space A :

The information found here and more about Space -A Travel may be found at the official Navy website for Norfolk AMC website at http://www.airtermnorva.navy.mil/SpaceA.htm

The Military Family Network™ recommends that individuals interested in learning more about space available travel visit The Space A Info website . Information on this site includes: details about Space-A travel, the process and how it works, where to go and how to prepare, along with the stories of those who have years of experience with using this benefit.


What is Space-A?

Space-A is short for "space available" travel on government owned or contracted aircraft. Under the Space-A program, eligible passengers can fill unused seats on DoD owned or contracted aircraft once all of the duty passengers have been accommodated. With patience and flexibility, you can travel the world very inexpensively.

Success with Space-A travel depends on flexibility and good timing. Since Space-A passengers travel only after all duty passengers and air cargo have been accommodated, there is no guarantee that a flight will have enough seats for every potential customer. Space-A passengers should be prepared with sufficient financial resources to cover the costs of lodging and alternative transportation should seats not be available.

Remember , "space available" travel is just that - space that is available only after all mission requirements are fulfilled.

There is no guarantee.

What is the Process?

Space-A passengers must register (sign-up) with the departure passenger terminal. Sign-up can be performed online, by electronic mail, postal mail, fax or in person. When you register, you will be assigned a category of travel. Selection for travel is based on your assigned category and the date/time of your sign-up. Your sign-up is valid for 60 days or for the duration of your leave orders or authorization, whichever occurs first.


The following are eligible for Space A travel:

  • Members of the Uniformed Services and their family members
  • Foreign exchange service members on permanent duty with the DoD
  • Retired members of the Uniformed Services and their family members
  • Members of the Reserve Components
  • Civilian employees of the DoD stationed overseas and their families
  • American Red Cross personnel serving overseas with the U.S. military
  • DoD Dependent School (DoDDS) teachers and their family members


Travel Categories

The categories that determine your order of selection for Space A flights are:

Category 1 Emergency leave

Space-A Travel is allowed on a round-trip basis in connection with serious illness, death, or impending death of a member of the immediate family of the following:

  • United States citizen civilian employees of the DoD stationed overseas.
  • Full-time, paid personnel of the American Red Cross serving with United States military Services overseas.
  • Uniformed Service family members whose sponsors are stationed within the continental United States (CONUS) and the emergency exists overseas.
  • Family members of United States citizen civilian employees of the DoD when both sponsor and dependents are stationed overseas at the same location.
  • Uniformed Service family members when accompanied by their sponsor may travel within the continental United States (CONUS) if the emergency exists in the CONUS.

Note: Active-duty military personnel do not qualify for Space-A Emergency Leave under Category 1 and would be assigned to a lower priority category.  Active-duty personnel should contact their command to requested funded travel under emergency leave circumstances

Category 2 - Environmental Morale Leave (EML)

  • Sponsors on environmental and morale leave (EML) and accompanied family members. Military personnel must also be on ordinary leave. Any other type leave such as convalescent or overseas tour extension incentive program (OTEIP) with EML is not authorized.
  • DoD Dependent School (DoDDS) teachers and their accompanied family members in EML status during school year holiday, vacation periods or employer-approved training during recess periods

Category 3 - Ordinary leave

  • Members of the Uniformed Services in an ordinary or reenlistment leave status and Uniformed Services patients on convalescent leave. Members on convalescent leave may not travel overseas unless their leave form is so annotated.
  • Military personnel traveling on permissive temporary duty (TDY) orders for house hunting.
  • If the permissive TDY is for the purpose of permanent change of station house hunting, and the member travels in Category III, then the member may travel within the continental United States (CONUS) as well as international travel, and may be accompanied by one family member.
  • Bona fide family members (with a valid identification card) of a Service member of the Uniformed Services when accompanied by their sponsor who is in an ordinary leave status within overseas areas between overseas stations and air terminals in the CONUS.
  • This privilege does not apply to travel of dependents to or from a sponsor's restricted or unaccompanied tour location or to travel in a leave status to or from TDY locations. It applies only to round-trip travel to an overseas area or the CONUS with the sponsor. DoD 4515.13-R restricts use of these privileges to establish a home for family members in an overseas area or the CONUS.
  • Foreign exchange service members on permanent duty with the DoD (when on leave status), Medal of Honor recipients, service academy cadets and midshipmen
  • Category 4 - Unaccompanied dependents on EML

    • Unaccompanied family members (18 years or older) traveling on EML orders. Family members under 18 must be accompanied by an adult family member who is traveling EML.
    • DoDDS teachers or family members (accompanied or unaccompanied) in an EML status during summer break.

    Category 5 - Permissive Temporary Duty and students

    • Students whose sponsor is stationed in Alaska or Hawaii.
    • Students enrolled in a trade school in the CONUS when the sponsor is stationed overseas.
    • Military personnel traveling on permissive TDY orders for other than house hunting.
    • Command sponsored dependents (18 years of age) of Uniformed Services members who are stationed overseas may travel unaccompanied from the sponsor's PCS duty location to the CONUS and return. Travel is also authorized within the overseas theater. Travel cannot be between two overseas theaters (i.e., from Germany to Japan). Dependents must have command-sponsored documentation signed by the Commander verifying command sponsorship. Documentation is valid for one round trip

    Category 6 - Retirees

    • National Guard/Reserve components/members of the Ready Reserve and members of the Standby Reserve who are on the Active Status List.
    • Retired military members who are issued DD Form 2 and are eligible to receive retired or retainer pay.
    • Family members (with a valid identification card) of retired members when accompanied by a sponsor, ROTC, NUPOC, CEC

    Space-A passengers must register online, in person at the passenger terminal, by postal mail, electronic mail or fax.The following information is required for a successful sign up:

    • Last Name, First Name, Middle Initial
    • Rank/Grade
    • Social Security Number
    • Branch of Service
    • Start/Stop dates of leave (active duty)
    • Category (I thru VI)
    • Number of seats needed
    • Destinations (up to five may be chosen)
    • Names and Social Security Numbers of any dependents who will be traveling with you. Type of passports (U.S. etc…) of any dependents who will be traveling with you.

    If traveling overseas the passenger's leave must be in effect in order to signup for space available travel.

    When you register, you will compete for seats within a travel category based on the date and time of your registration. You can pick up to five countries per trip.

    When registering for Space A flights, be sure to indicate "all" as one of your destination choices, which will allow you to take advantage of unscheduled travel destinations or flights that might become available.

    Once registered, your names remain on the Space A flights register for whichever occurs first:

    • 60 days
    • The duration of the travel orders/leave authorization, or
    • Until you are selected for travel

    Passengers already on the space available register requesting a leave extension are required to notify passenger service personnel prior to their leave expiration date. Your name will remain on the space available register as long as you are pursuing a leave extension. Passengers will not be selected or moved until an extension has been approved.

    When you get to your final destination, be sure to sign-up immediately for your return travel. This will give you the "best" date and time for competing for seats on those flights.


    You can not use Space A privileges for personal gain or in connection with business enterprises or employment. You also can't use Space A travel to establish a home, to transport dependents to an duty station where you are or will be serving an unaccompanied tour, to transport dependents to a TDY duty station, or when international or theater restrictions prohibit such travel.

    Disabled Veterans

    Disabled veterans are not eligible for space available travel solely on the basis of their disability. However, retirees are eligible, and that category includes people who have received medical retirements.

    Travelers on Leave Status

    Military members on active duty must be in a leave or pass status to register for space available travel, remain in a leave or pass status while awaiting travel, and be in a leave or pass status for the entire period of travel

    When afforded Space A privileges, you must be in a leave of non-duty (i.e., weekend or holiday) status to register for space available travel. If in a non-duty status, leave must have been approved for the first normal working day following the non-duty period. A leave status must then be maintained while awaiting travel and for the entire period of travel.


    Dependents may generally travel to, from, and between overseas destinations when accompanied by their sponsor who is eligible for the Space-A travel.

    Family members generally may not travel within the Continental United States (CONUS) except when:
    • On domestic segments of overseas flights at the beginning or end of the mission
    • On any flight when their sponsor is traveling on emergency leave
    • On any flight when their sponsor is house-hunting at a new duty station (limited to one dependent traveler)

    CONUS Defined

    CONUS includes the 48 contiguous states (excludes Hawaii and Alaska>

    Unaccompanied Command-Sponsored Dependents:Command sponsored family members of members of the Uniformed Services may travel to, from and between overseas areas if they present a letter certifying command sponsorship or if they have EML or emergency leave orders

    Travelers with Disabilities

    Persons with disabilities may travel Space-A but should be self-sufficient. The only persons permitted to accompany you are your dependents (excluding CONUS) or other persons eligible for Space A travel. Every effort will be made to transport passengers with disabilities who are otherwise eligible to travel

    >A space available roll call will be conducted 2 (two) hours prior to departure.

    Passengers who show up after the show time will be accommodated only after everyone that was there on time is taken care of, regardless of their category or date and time of sign up.

    Please be aware that flight schedules are subject to change. We recommend that you check for the space available show time for your flight prior to departing for the terminal. Make sure you're ready for immediate processing and boarding when you arrive at the passenger service center.

    What To Know, What To Bring and What Not to Bring

    (Travel Attire, Money, Baggage, Pets, Children, Documentation, Border Clearance and Prohibited Items)

    Travel Attire/Clothing

    Unless otherwise directed by your command or service, appropriate civilian attire can be worn on any flight. Please use good judgment and common sense to ensure clothing is safe, in good taste and consistent with the customs of overseas country.

    Passenger wanting to travel on AMC flights should not wear

    • Open-toe Shoes (i.e., sandals)
    • Revealing Clothing (i.e., tank tops)
    • Tattered Clothing (i.e., cut-off shorts)


    Baggage Allowance

    Each Space-A passenger is authorized two pieces of baggage not to "exceed" 70 pounds each or 62 linear inches. The sum of linear measurements (length/width/height) must not exceed 62 linear inches. Bags larger than 62 linear inches and/or heavier than 70 pounds will be counted as two pieces. Checked baggage exceeding the allowed weight criteria will be counted as an extra piece for each increment of 70 pounds.

    Carry-on Baggage

    Each passenger is authorized one carry-on bag.  Carry-on baggage cannot exceed 45 linear inches.

    Carry-on baggage must fit securely under the seat or in the overhead compartment, if available.

    Excess Baggage - NOT ALLOWED Space-A passengers are not allowed excess baggage.

    Pets - Space-A passengers are not allowed to transport pets.

    Children traveling Space A with young children, prepare for possible delays along the way where childcare items and supplies may not be readily available.  While the passenger terminal provides many facilities for children (playgrounds, playroom, nursery), children should not be left unsupervised.

    FAA-approved child safety/restraint seats for young children flying on AMC flights are required. This policy applies to children under 2 years old who weigh less than 40 pounds and are less than 40 inches tall. Children must be in the seat during takeoffs and landings, but may be held while the aircraft is in the cruise portion of the flight.

    Since meals, beverages and entertainment are not provided on military aircraft, Space-A passengers should prepare accordingly for their children’s needs.


    Active Duty Uniformed Services Member(includes National Guard and Reserve members on active duty in excess of 30 days and Cadets and Midshipmen of the U.S. Service Academies)

    • DD Form 2 (Green)
    • US Armed Forces ID Card (Active)
    • Form 2 NOAA (Green), Uniformed Services ID and Privilege Card (Active) or  PHS Form 1866-3 (Green), US Public Health Service ID Card (Active)
    • id leave authorization or evidence of pass status

    Retired Uniformed Service Members

    • DD Form 2 (Blue), US Armed Forces ID Card (Retired)
    • DD Form 2 NOAA (Blue
    • Uniformed Services ID Card (Retired) or PHS Form 1866-3 (Blue)
    • US Public Health Service ID Card (Retired
    National Guard and Reserve Members Authorized Reserve Component Members of the Ready Reserve and members of the Standby Reserve who are on the Active Status List
    • DD Form 2 (Red)
    • Armed Forces of the United States ID Card (Reserve)
    • Authentication of Reserve
    Retired Reservists Entitled to Retired Pay at Age 60
    • Notice of retirement eligibility as described in DoD Directive 1200.15
    ;Note: If the automated DD Form 2 (Red) has been issued, the member is registered in his or her service personnel system as a Reserve retiree entitled pay at age 60, and a notice of retirement is not required.

    Retired Reservists Qualified for Retired Pay

    • DD Form 2 (Blue)
    • US Armed Forces ID Card (Retired)
    • DD Form 2 NOAA (Blue)
    • Uniformed Services ID Card (Retired) or PHS Form 1866-3 (Blue)
    • US Public Health Service ID Card (Retired)
    Active Duty for 30 Days or Less

    • DD Form 2 (Red)
    • Orders placing the Reservist on active duty
    • Valid leave authorization or evidence of pass status
    ROTC, Nuclear Power Officer Candidate (NUPOC), and Civil Engineer Corps (CEC) Members
    Dependents of Uniformed Services Members

    • DD Form 1173
    • United States Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card

    EML Travelers

    • Travel orders issued by the Unified Command.
    Note: Participants of the EML program may take no more than two trips per year and may not be taken within 6 months of the beginning or end of the service.

    Command Sponsored Dependents

    • Original letter of Command Sponsorship signed by the sponsor's commander
    • Leave orders in the case of EML or emergency leave
    Overseas Passengers
    • Passports/Visas
    Immigration and Border Clearance Requirements Be sure to check the State Department site for more detailed information and advisories):

    Be prompt, patient, prepared and flexible

    Check with the passenger service center for Space A show time prior to departing the terminal area. Space A seats are normally identified as early as two to three hours and as late as 30 minutes prior to departure. To prevent delays, be ready for immediate processing and boarding.

    When traveling Space A always be prepared for the unexpected and have sufficient funds to buy commercial transportation, food and commercial lodging.

    Be as flexible as possible in choosing a destination. Some destinations have greater opportunities for Space A travel than others due to passenger demand and the frequency of scheduled flights. While there may be significant Space A seats to Europe from Norfolk, Space A opportunities may be very limited for passengers wishing to travel to Puerto Rico.

    Whenever possible, travel at off-peak Space A travel periods to increase your chances of finding space on the flights you want. The peak periods are the school "summer vacations" (late May-August) and year-end holiday season. Historically, the off-peak "shoulder seasons" — February-March and October-November — are the slowest travel periods.


    Terms and Conditions  |   Privacy Policy   |  copyright © 2000-2013, eMilitary, Inc   |   development: Military Family Network